PricewaterhouseCoopers reviewed 10,640 projects worldwide and found that only 2.5% of the companies successfully completed 100% of their projects.
Is this because people are incompetent? It’s a sad look out for man kind if so. However, the reality is likely more complicated..
- People can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time http://bit.ly/1etgh4B so as organisations are made up of people, that applies collectively to organisations as well.
- The more time we have to do something the less we achieve. Take Kickstarter projects as just one example http://kck.st/1VjLaSi Kickstarter changed the maximum length of a campaign from 90 days to 60 days in 2011 after realising that campaigns that ran for the full 90 days were successful only 24% of the time much less successful than shorter campaigns (over 44%).
- As humans we naturally radically under or over estimate what we can achieve. Unlike pigeons(!) we use contextual information which can lead to biased judgments of interval duration, thereby reducing the precision of these estimates. http://bit.ly/1XDbbKU
This is why at Magic Milestones we work on 3 themes:
- Creating a stable focused team Agile Experts
- Focusing on ‘the next right thing’ Lean PMO
- Creating a delivery culture using Lean Start-Up and Agile techniques. Using hard data as a basis for predictions and planning we baseline performance then improve an organisation through Consultancy & Training
Read more about why Magic Milestones does what it does via Our Story